Friday, May 29, 2009

Quote Of The Day



“It bothers me to no end. I never, ever thought being a rider I’d be involved in this. It’s really tearing me apart, the condition he’s in. It’s going to change my life forever. It’s going to change me as a rider, it’s going to change me as a family man, it’s going to change me as a normal person.”

Jockey Jamie Theriot, in Daily Racing Form, on the one-horse spill that seriously injured rider
Rene Douglas at the top of the stretch during the Arlington Matron Stakes (G3) on May 23 at Arlington Park. Douglas’s mount in the race, Born to Be, was bumped by Theriot’s mount, Sky Mom, after that opponent was angled out entering the stretch. Born to Be then clipped heels with fading pacesetter Boudoir and tumbled straight down, leaving Douglas no chance to react as he fell headfirst to the main track. Born to Be was knocked unconscious and rolled over onto Douglas, who has undergone several hours of surgery but has no feeling in his legs. Born to Be was euthanized because of injuries, and Theriot was handed a 30-day suspension, which has been appealed.

No comments: